With the motivation of my 30 before 30 list, I've been keeping my eyes wide open for Beyonce's next tour for a while now. I can't even tell you the rush of excitement when I heard that Beyonce was performing at the Super Bowl for halftime because instantly I knew her tour dates were going to be announced right after her performance. I would say I sensed it because we are mentally and spiritually connected but I won't go that far. I just always had a nack for reading between the lines of marketing decisions and this time I hit the nail on the head and it worked to my advantage. After her performance, her website launched the dates for Mrs. Carter tour and I nearly keeled over.
Simply put.
First of all, I was right. Second of all, I couldn't have planned a better world tour title for my first Beyonce concert. To me, this was her coming out show as her new identity as wife and mom -- identities that are part of my new reality. Not to mention... the whole pun on J & B love... I mean really. What better first meeting of the me and the Queen B?!
So the weekend was here. Tickets purchased in January after much sweat and some tears about getting the right amount of tickets and the right seats but that's another story. Plans changed here and there but one thing remained constant - we were going to this concert come hell or high water - come wedding budget or not. This was one of those moments when I was confirmed that I married my other half when I knew B shared in my excitement and persistence with making this trip a dream come true and that's just what we did. We enjoyed our trip to Charlotte doing what we do best - exploring, eating good food, and doing a little booty shaking here and there. Spent quality time with my old roomie Jill and hubby Davis and had some adventures with B's friend Ryan and wife Charlotte. We traveled with our dear friend, Kenzie, listening to new music and chatting about life - so worthwhile knowing he'll leave our neck of the woods soon.
And then... I shared a room with Beyonce.
Now if you know me well, I'm pretty chill when it comes to famous people. I probably get more excited seeing Pooh Bear in Disney World... let's be honest. But Beyonce is something different. I've admired so much of how she has handled her fame with poise, dignity and privacy. All qualities that I admire and try to emulate in my own life. She has lived a life out of the limelight where her personal life choices have not been what made her famous as much as it has been her talent. Song after song, album after album, she has chosen to share her love of learning, feminism, service, love, girlfriends and so much more. I remember listening to the story she told on her "4" album and being able to break my longest run record by 3 miles just because she was singing the soundtrack to my life. I related so much to her realization of foolish adoration masked as lost love all the way to finding the love of your life who makes you glow in a way that people from afar can even notice. Beyonce and I were sharing life together in that album. She read my script and sang the soundtrack. So naturally, the stars aligned and only fate had it that I would be seeing her perform this album live and Mrs. Davis meets Mrs. Carter.
The concert was a masterpiece. The visual effects, song selections, montages, outfits, HER BAND, commercials... I could go on forever. It was impeccably done. You could tell she loved her fans through all her interactions with the concert goers in the pit. You could tell that she was truly made for every bit of this life when when didn't sing... she SAANG... hit after hit after hit. Most of the time I was sitting in awe, soaking it all in. The rest of the time, I was standing, singing like one of the backup singers in the Mamas.
There was a minor downside though. As great as the production was, her energy was not what I expected. I almost wondered after the show whether or not the show was on a mom and wife energy level because she didn't talk much. She interacted with the crowd, she put a lot of energy into her moves, but to some extend I didn't feel as much of the connection that I had hoped for. Not like the one Brad and I felt with her hubby at his concert, which if you ever have the opportunity to go... don't think twice... but I digress. All in all, it was a great experience. To see how she lit up a room of people who felt that they were each her best friend and they had Beyonce on speed dial made me smile from ear to ear.
Despite the minor disappointment, this experience meant so much more than her energy level. This experience was about what it meant for me to see her at this time in my life, what she represents as a woman who does it all and supports that women can do just that. She's truly an inspiration with talent beyond measures. At the end of the day, I'm thrilled I had that opportunity to be in the same room with her and hope to do so again one day when our worlds align again.
but let's be serious... we saw bey in concert at her height... who wouldn't be excited?






No comments:
Post a Comment