Friday, August 9, 2013

Cruisin' Past My 20s

Every birthday, I try to do something new. It keeps me rejuvenated and according to a friend from book club it keeps me avoiding Alzheimer's when I can make new connections (I believe "maintain novelty" is the right phrase). On the contrary of that tradition and research, I decided not to do anything new this year. I get it. I'm turning 29 - I've done this since just about the time I turned 13 when I tried coffee for the first time - why stop now? Here's a reframe.

Since I turned 28, I...
  • Stopped perming my hair
  • Saw Beyonce perform in concert
  • Got married for the 2nd time to my first husband...
And really in life that's all that matters! Haha.

But seriously! So much has happened in this last year, including all my 30 before 30s that I've accomplished, everything that connects back to our entire JB Love season, new and innovative ideas I've introduced at work, etc. etc. In life I've spent so much time making sure there's always something new to do up my sleeve. In the process, I have become someone who enjoys trying something new when the opportunity arrives and I love that about me!

When I've spent so much of my life structured by schedules and dictated by lists, I've decided that there's no better time than now that I need to take it easy. I'd like to cruise out of my 20s knowing that I've done all I could to set me up for success in my 30s. While others may be trying to be more planful, I'm going to try to do less. While others are trying to be more structured, I'm going to try to let my hair down (or out... this natural hair journey is something else... who knows if it goes down anymore...I digress). While others are deciding to pick up reading, I'm going to continue at a steady pace and throw the anxiety of catching up ... who on earth am I trying to catch up to?... just ease on out of my system. All in all, I want to enjoy the present and just relax knowing that I won't miss a beat or miss a moment because who I am today would never let that happen.

Ok... so maybe I'll start tomorrow and just say for the record, if I really did regret not doing something new, I kinda did already... You see, Brad got me a bike for my birthday and I rode it to the gym. I was cruisin' right along and it was the first time I believe I've ever taken a bike on the street like that in place of a vehicle. Bam. I win... both the old and new me. Haha.

Signing off at 29. Bring it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment