Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Favorite Things...

I'm a big fan of traditions and the Sound of Music. Give me a second... this will get good. So my birthday is coming up and I try to do something new for every birthday. I remember doing this since I turned 18 - the first time I ever tried coffee in case you were wondering but it never hurts to start another one!

I saw a friends blog the other day about her favorite things and I thought to myself... how many times do I really get to do or even think about my favorite things? Sometimes I get so busy and caught up it seems like I'm a machine. Not cool. So in my effort to soak life up everyday, I want to make a list every year with my favorite things. Guess how many favorite things... 26 because Lord knows, 27 is right around that corner. That's for another blog.

Anywho, can anyone guess the connection with Sound of Music? Yes... Maria told the VonTrapps that whenever the storm comes all she does is think about her favorite things and it puts a smile back on her face. She likes raindrops on roses... I happen to love that entire song so much it makes me want to frolic around my apartment. Knowing me I'd probably bump into something and bruise up the next day and wonder how I got it. Who know clumsiness came with age. I feel sorry for my grandchildren. Ha!

I digress. In no certain order, here are some of my favorite things...

The Joy of Cooking - I think I have a slight desire to be the next Julie from Julie & Julia. In the last year, I've had the chance to see a Julia Child's exhibit at the Smithsonian of American History. I was like a kid in a candy store (or video game store? who knows these days). I guess my family got the picture because I got "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by none other than Julia Childs. I was a mess...

Tweeting Funnies - Once in a while I come up with something clever, not always thought-provoking, but sometimes funny. I haven't been doing that much lately but I love when I think of something funny and can't stop laughing about it. You can ask Brad... I tend to do it sometimes and without a doubt he shakes his head in disbelief of my silliness. I just like saying "ooo I made a funny!"

Candlelit Showers - This is a new phase I'm going through. There is something so calming about a shower by candlelit. I just burned my finger on the lighter I used to light the candle in my shower just now. Gotta figure out a new way to do that.

Friends - Generally speaking, I love being surrounded by love and I've had the great privilege of having some awesome friends in my life. I'm pretty sure many enjoy being surrounded by love. I'm always looking for ways to repay their awesomeness. Sheesh... I'm so thankful for all of them.

Good Quality Jams - I'm a fan of the John Legends, Jill Scotts, India.Arie's, Chrisette Michelles, Marcia Ambrosious, Estelle but it doesn't stop there... I've been lucky enough to have a musical connoisseur in my life who has introduced amazing music to me including The Weeknd, Big Sean, Teedra Moses and many more. When we're having me time in our respective apartments, I know I'm bound to hear a new album that will be the new mix for a week...before something new comes out. It's pretty awesome and something I feel excited to be on the receiving end for.

Ayesha's Stories - Omg. She can tell a story! When her name comes up on my phone I always know I'm in for an adventure. She will capture anyone and everyone who catches her eye and soon after they catch the bug of listening to her at the edge of her seat. I mean really, she lives a wild life but she has the brains too! So proud of her even though a little less of a risky life would be helpful for my anxiety and nerves.

Family - My dad instilled in me such an amazing desire of loyalty and family values. My family is everything to me. As much as there are times when we argue or have moments where the distance is a blessing in disguise, I can't imagine not being able to go home and just be. I love my role as a big sister and I wouldn't have asked for it any other way. Sahiyya took my breath away one day when she actually said that I was wise. I mean me? Really? I guess that's what happens when you're old and walk in to sharp corners and forget where you got the bruises the next day.

Mornings - Ok... so if you've lived with me or have had great morning phone dates with me, you will know this already and probably smile or shake your head and roll your eyes. Ah well... I LOVE mornings. I'm not an annoying morning person... to most... haha. I just love when the sun peers through my window and brightens my entire room! I love the energy I wake up with if I've actually slept through the night. It is such a great feeling. Mornings have the best food and the ability to allow you to get whatever you need to off your to-do list and make you forget you already did it in the afternoon. Love that feeling... especially when it's working out that's crossed off my list.

Getting Answers Right on Jeopardy - I love a game show but there is something about knowing the answer on Jeopardy. I mean I feel like I gained bonus points on my coolness (I probably in retrospect just lost a few from you but whatev) or a the money they really do give for each right answer. Of course this normally occurs when I'm playing kids or teen jeopardy. I was killin it the other week. That's just our little secret though.

Good Books - This may just be one of my top 3 pastimes. Being able to jump into a book and get lost in a world created by an author's words. I mean talk about a mind___. There's nothing that can compare!

Nature's Playlist - Ok. So this is going to sound really corny but nature sounds really make me happy. When it rains or thunderstorms, it's kind of like a "sit yo booty down" lecture from the universe. I'm most clear-minded during rain or a thunderstorm. The fact that I can also sit on a beach and listen to crashing waves is something I will miss if I'm ever forced to live without a beach. When its not sunny, just having the option to go to the beach and put my feet in sand and listen to the waves crash is an amazing option. Don't even get me started on chirping birds... in the morning of course. Hahaha.    

Blogging - I'm really becoming a fan of this. I like just thinking about things and writing them down. I truly enjoy writing. Always have, now I can use it as a connection to my best of bests.

Cute Pajama Sets - Pajamas that match. I think I've had those since the beginning of time. I had so many when I was a kid. Now, when I'm most stressed or about to start a new take on life, I buy a pajama set (or a dress). Either way, the thought of going to bed in something comfy and cute makes for a great combination when I get to wake up in the MORNIng!! Oh morning... I heart you. :)

Well... that's halfway through. Next time, I'll do a pictorial homage to my last 13 favorite things. I get wordy for no reason sometimes but I felt the need to explain.

Tootles for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment