Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Summer I Got My Life Together

It's amazing to think that I'm about to start my 3rd year in Wilmington. The time has certainly flown by with all the changes that have come my way. This summer is the first that I don't have to spend packing and preparing to move in maybe... wow... I just counted about 7 years! I was sitting here answering emails and updating my calendar with birthdays and it hit me that I think I'm officially getting my life together this summer.

Growing up, little girls dream of their big day or how they're life will look when they turn 20-something. You have to admit it! We did. I never really dreamed of my big day because it freaked me out but I sure did think about who my friends would be, what my living space would look like, would I like my job and would I get to travel and keep in touch with friends all over the world. I'm about to turn 27 and 20-something is coming to a close right around the corner and I'm just now slowing down to smell the 20-something roses.

Thankfully, after a whirlwind of 20s I must say, I'm pretty happy and content with where I am in life. I have a job that I really enjoy and always keeps me on my toes, lifetime friends that can't compete with anyone else's and I feel like everyday my relationship with my sisters gets stronger through random phone calls/texts/emails and vacations to visit their big sister. I'm reading books for fun just like I've always imagined being able to do. I'm writing for fun and let's not even get on the travel topic. I'm traveling! I couldn't imagine being able to travel as much as I am and come home with even if it is only a 2 digit number sometimes... money that helps me get by to the next day. I've always wanted to do so much better with remembering birthdays/anniversaries and keeping in touch with friends despite and I feel like I am getting better everyday. I have time here and there to write friends quick notes, send an e-card and just feel connected. Finally... this summer I feel like I've reconnected with my entire life... not just the chapter I'm in now...but all the chapters that got me here.

In life, I've always tried to remember one thing... be content with your now. Of course, I've got goals and aspirations and hopes for different things to happen over the next year, 5 years, etc. All those keep me motivated for my next step but I never want to forget what it feels like to have the things I prayed for 5 years ago, a year ago and sometimes even a day ago. It's so important to slow down and appreciate the moment...and for this moment to do that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Awww we are getting old....sometimes I forget that I am an adult now. I was talking to a friend recently and they were saying how cool it was that I still kept in touch with and still had so many good high school friends. I think we r pretty lucky: love, jobs, friendships!

    ReplyDelete