So where did this new level begin? I share...
I've always wanted to join a book club. I'm not sure why but I loved the idea of having accountability partners for reading and being able to rely on others for great book recommendations. It didn't take long for me to ask my new co-workers if anyone knew of any book clubs... aside from the Synergy Committee that chooses our Common Reading book every year. I wasn't above that at all. I just wanted to be able to read a book for social reasons with some my new found "life" time on my hands.
It didn't take long until I was connected to Tamsen who shares my love for the book world and probably takes it a whole other level that I could see me reaching one day. Tamsen started the Wilmington Book Club a year or so ago with a group of girls who... I'm honestly not sure where she met them... but they love reading! The group is such a mixture of people I wouldn't normally get to hang out with and I absolutely love it. There's a girl who is new to Wilmington and lives with her boyfriend - friends with another woman she works with at a local eye doctor who I think may be married, no kids. Another girl works at UNCW and fosters dogs. I hear such great stories about her foster dogs spiking my desire to own one... faster than having a baby right now. Just saying. The foster care girl lives close to another girl who just called herself a "soccer mom" yesterday because her under 5-year old just started soccer practice at the Y! How adorable. She is pretty good friends with another girl in the group who seems recently married whose husband works at a nuclear plant. Then there's Tamsen, me and a non-traditional student at UNCW who I think found out about the book club through someone else there. She took a year off and moved to Hawaii for a year because she realized she wasn't ready to take on college when she got here as a freshman. Awesome story. As you can see, we're a great mix... and yes it probably looks a lot like this...except we are more laid back less bougie..
We meet every other Thursday at a restaurant chosen by the host and we have the rest of the semester planned out to a t - the host, the book, the book exchange holiday party, everything! I'm hosting my first book club in two weeks and we are reading "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. It's a top choice at book clubs around the world! Ok... so maybe around the world was written for emphasis. The best part is that no one is overly intense about making sure you've read the book on time. They are so understanding that life happens. If we haven't finished a book, it's okay because there is so much more to talk about! I never realized that women who share the same book interests naturally have so many other things in common. We love the same TV shows, enjoy the same kinds of adventures, laugh at the same jokes and all agree that we feel comfortable exposing our closet dork only during book club. The comfort-level didn't take long to get there for me and I couldn't be more thankful for such a great experience.
Take that 30 before 30. 29 more to go... :)


No comments:
Post a Comment